Oakville Moms

Where to Shop

Web www.oakvillemoms.com

Bebe In Style
A Mom's Story Archives

How it all went 2nd time around ...

I went to see my OB on a Tuesday and everything was fine. My OB said to me that he didn't think I'd deliver early and most likely he'd see me again next week as it was my due date. The last thing my OB said to me was "You never know things can change in 24 hrs." And so it did!

That night I went to bed feeling fine. I dreamt that I was in labour. I kept feeling some pains and it seemed to be quite frequent, I thought my dream felt so real. I woke up when my hubby got up. All of a sudden I felt that pain again, just like in the dream. I thought no way this is labour! I got my watch and started timing it. The contraction seemed to come again within 6 mins!! So I told my husband very calmly "I think I am in labour." I don't think he believe me since I was so calm and seemed to manage the pain. He said "Are you sure?" I said "Well this pain that I have seems to come every 6 mins or so, so I think its starting." I told him to go to work and I'd call him if the contractions got closer. I wait another 30 min and then I called my parents to come over. I needed my parents to watch my son.

By the time my parents came I knew for sure I was in labour. The contractions were getting stronger and stronger. So I called the hospital and explained my situation and they said come on over. The labour this time around came really fast compared to my son's 48 hours of labour!

When I got to the hospital I was hoping my OB was there or at least be able to deliver my baby. Once I was checked out I got hooked up to the IV. The first attempt inserting the needle the nurse busted my vein and I thought great, what a way to start. But then she got it right. I was already 7 cm dialated and they told me to call my hubby as I might deliver soon. Good thing my hubby works in Oakville and he was able to get to the hospital soon after that. My dad kept me company until my hubby came.

I think I must have ask for the epidural at least 4 times. I was handling the pain but I wanted relief!!! At 10 am the Dr. finally came gave me the epidural. It didn't hurt but I did feel something cold go up my back. Within 5 min I was feel good :-) My hubby told me it was a huge needle, I told him I didn't want to know any more!

I think out of the whole pregnancy experience its the labour that stresses me out because so many things can happen that you don't have control over. I got nervous a few times when the baby's heart beat would slow down. I'd call the nurse over but she told me its normal for the heartbeat to go up and down at times.

My OB came to see me. He reassured me that he would deliver my baby as he was working all day in the hospital. I was soooo relieved. I felt very comfortable with him as he is an easy guy to talk to. He also delivered my first son so I knew I was in good hands.

I started pushing around noon but it didn't go so well, my baby hadn't dropped all the way. I received oxytocin to increase the labour. We tried again an hour later and then things got underway. I was pushing and pushing and still the baby hadn't dropped all the way. My OB then says he would use a vacuum. They did the same thing for my first born. I noticed this time they used a smaller vacuum. My OB had to break my water and he noticed there was meconium so he said he needed a RT to be present at birth. I got a little nervous when I heard this. My OB reassured me it was going to be ok.

I kept pushing and pushing with all of my might, to the point that tears were running down my face. And then my little boy was out! My hubby cut the cord. They cleared his mouth and nose with a suction. I kept looking at the nurse and the RT to see what was going on. Then the RT said he is perfect, everything was fine.

It was hard to believe that I had another baby in my arms. So precious and perfect. I felt very blessed and happy to finally have him in my arms.

It's been 2 months now and things are getting better. It was very challenging the first few weeks but this time around I seemed to get into the hang of things a lot faster. My toddler loves his baby brother, he wants to hold him and kiss him. Little Michael got the hang of breastfeeding after a few days and is eating well. Sleep? It's not so bad, half the time I fall asleep with the baby when I nurse him. What they say is true, second time around is easier!

A special thanks to my hubby for helping out, couldn't do it without him.

Mommy Michelle







A portion of profits will go to the Vasa Previa Organization and Sick Kids Hospital.

2006 copyright. Oakville Moms.
website designed by Nuevo Designs